By Steve Poe, Superintendent
Congratulations to the graduates of 2021. This year’s graduation ceremony was held at the Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial on Thursday evening, May 27th. Addressing this year’s graduating class was Mr. Scotty Ferrell, a 1971 Put-in-Bay High School graduate.
Graduates of the Class of 2021 have ambitious plans after graduation:
- Blake Booker will be attending John Carroll University to continue his academic and athletic career. He will continue his basketball passions along with studying exercise science. Blake is in the process of creating his own personal training business and hopes to make a career out of it.
- Nora Ladd will attend Kent State University this fall with a place in the honors college. She will be majoring in architecture. In the future, Nora plans to study abroad and join the Peace Corps after she earns her degree. She is excited to explore the opportunities that come her way.
- During her two years at the Vanguard Vocational Center Lucy Niese was enrolled in the Digital Media Technologies Program. As part of her program, Lucy earned her MOS Word Specialists Certification as well as her MOS PowerPoint Certification. Following graduation, Lucy is considering full time employment and or college opportunities.
- Lucille Schneider will be attending Kent State University, pursuing a degree in Visual Communications Design. She is excited for new adventures next year.
- Elena Schroeder will be attending Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana. She will be pursuing a degree in Microbiology in hopes of someday becoming a virologist. Traveling the world to study viruses and create vaccines are her hopes for the future.
- Following graduation, Marshall Stacy plans to apply for an apprenticeship at Whirlpool Corporation in Clyde, Ohio. Following the completion of his apprenticeship program, Marshall will further his education in order to be an electrical engineer.
- Talli Steidl will be attending Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. He plans to major in business and minor in economics. Talli’s hopes to work for a successful business and to help keep his family’s business running for a long time.
Graduation last month was a memorable one. We would like to thank the staff at the Perry Victory and International Peace Memorial for providing the beautiful venue for this event. We would also like to thank our scholarship donors for providing over $31,000 in local scholarships for our graduates. The following is a list of scholarships each of our graduates received:
- Blake Booker – Genoa Bank Scholarship.
- Nora Ladd – Mayor’s Scholarship, Earl J. Johnson Scholarship, Patrick Myers Scholarship, Lonz Foundation Scholarship.
- Lucille Schneider – Ricky Dysert Scholarship, First National Bank Scholarship, Jeffery Verhoff Memorial Scholarship, Browns Backers Scholarship, Jeremy Harlan “Jer Bear Scholarship,” Heineman Scholarship.
- Elena Schroeder – John W. Blatt Scholarship, First National Bank Scholarship, Hristovski Family Scholarship, Perry Group Scholarship, Browns Backers Scholarship, Kurt Rohrbacher Scholarship, Lee Miller Memorial Scholarship.
- Talli Steidl – Cameo Pizza Scholarship, Acorn Sportsman Club Scholarship, Fitzgerald Family Scholarship.
On May 7th, sophomore Alec Sharp was honored at the annual “Nine-to-Five” breakfast at the new Gideon Owen Restaurant on Catawba. Each year, the six school districts in Ottawa County select a student who has demonstrated the most improvement over the course of the school year. Accompanying Alex at the event were his great-grandmother Charmyne Kroger, guidance counselor, Margie Warnicke, Superintendent Steve Poe, science teacher Missi Kowals; and his grandmother, Karen Sharp. Sarah Sharp, Alec’s mother, was unable to attend. Alec recognized Mrs. Kowalski as the person who has played a significant role in his improvement during the year. Congratulations Alec!
Junior, Kate Byrnes will represent Put-in-Bay School at the annual Buckeye Girls State program. Sponsored by the American Legion, this event will take place on the campus of Ohio Northern University from June 13th to 19th. Girls from all around the state will take part in activities that enable them to learn the duties of every governmental agency, from elected state officials to village councils. Each participant will serve in a government position for the week. Kate is the daughter of Susan and Mike Byrnes. Congratulations Kate!
We have four sophomores participating in the HOBY (Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Program) this summer. McKenna Stacy, Alice Lentz, Macy Ladd, and Lilian Frederick will participate in activities that develop leadership skills. These skills can then be utilized at Put-in-Bay School and our community. McKenna is the daughter of Rob and Kristi Stacy; Alice is the daughter of Julie Leopold; Macy is the daughter of Heidi and Chris Ladd; and Lilian is the daughter of Todd Frederick. Good job girls!
Put-in-Bay School’s first ever “Virtual Art Show” can be viewed at put-in-bay.k12.oh.us online. Click: 2021 Virtual Art Show Tab. You will see some amazing art talent! The board of education adopted the school calendar for 2021-22. Please mark your calendars for the 2021-2022 School Year:
- Monday, August 30 – First Day of School
- Monday, Sept. 6 – No School / Labor Day
- Monday, October 18 – No School / Appointment Day
- November 24 – 26 – No School / Thanksgiving Break
- Friday, Dec. 3 – No School / Great Lakes Basketball Tournament
- December 20 – Jan 2 – No School / Christmas Break
- February 18 – 27 – No School / Winter Break
- April 15 – 19 – No School / Spring Break
- Thursday, May 26 – Early Dismissal / Last Day of School
- Friday, May 27 – Graduation
The previous piece is published in this month’s Put-in-Bay Gazette. The Gazette has been producing incredible independent Put-in-Bay island news for over 40 years. If you have any interest at all in what is happening on South Bass Island, we urge you strongly to subscribe to the Put-in-Bay Gazette. One-year online subscriptions are only $15, and print subscriptions are available as well. To subscribe please click here.
This piece of Put-in-Bay journalism has been provided to putinbaylodging.com courtesy of the Put-in-Bay Gazette, Put-in-Bay’s only local newspaper. Visit their website putinbay.news for more information and to subscribe!