Located on Catawba Avenue in the heart of downtown Put-in-Bay lies The Old Forge Cafe and Creperie. Known as one of the island’s best-kept secrets, guests and locals join together for freshly brewed coffee and crepes. They have all sorts of crepes: savory crepes, sweet crepes, breakfast crepes, dessert crepes…all types of scrumptious, yummy, crepes. They also offer exceptional steaks, salads, panini, and local beers, but let’s continue to talk about these crepes.
These Breton staples are the more highly favored culinary cousins of blintzes. The history of crepes is rich and it begins with Candlemas. Candlemas was originally a holy day to honor the presentation of the infant Jesus Christ to the temple at Jerusalem. Around the fifth century, the Pope at the time would give these delectable pancakes to the Candlemas pilgrims. The Old Forge Cafe and Creperie do an amazing job of paying homage to this culinary masterpiece.
The Old Forge Cafe and Creperie Favorites:
- Jolene, with apple, bleu cheese, toasted pecans, red onion, arugula, and honey
- Olivia, with smoked salmon, lemon dill cream cheese, tomato, and red onion
- Jackie O, with egg, bacon, whipped cream cheese, and pico de gallo
- G Monster, with avocado, arugula, goat cheese, and almonds
- Crazy Sam, with roasted chicken, applewood bacon, sharp cheddar, pico de gallo and sriracha cream
- Mrs. Robinson, with turkey, basil, provolone, tomatoes, and basil aioli
Also, the Old Forge is known for being an adult-friendly restaurant. It stands away from the pubs and party goers. So guests can enjoy a delicious meal with a quiet environment perfect for small talk or even light reading. The upscale atmosphere and health-friendly selections make this a perfect place to escape the elements and even indulge in some wine. Make sure to recharge at the Old Forge, so you can be ready for more energetic Put-in-Bay attractions, such as shopping. When you arrive at Put-in-Bay remember this sacred place and eat some crepes!
No reviews were found.