Put-in-Bay’s Park Hotel has been here since the 19th Century and has quite a bit of history to tell. Legend has it that many of the past residents have died on the premises and continue to haunt the halls, such as the “Governess” who watches over children at the bottom of the lobby’s stairway. The Park Hotel’s The Round House Bar is one option for those looking to tipple, but a certain type of consumer wants something sleeker, old-fashioned, and perhaps criminal. The Red Moon Speakeasy Lounge fits that bill. A speakeasy is an unlicensed bar common to the Prohibition Era, about which one is to “speak easy” lest the police or nosy do-gooder supporters of the Temperance Movement hear tell and seize our precious giggle juice. At this Put-in-Bay restaurant, one can soak up the taboo atmosphere between a painted tin roof and hand-engraved picnic tables.
Local Prohibition-era legend tells of a fisherman turned bootlegger named Max Fox. His 30-foot Belle Isle Bearcat named “Midnight Fox” brought much-needed alcohol across Lake Erie from the liberal land of Canada. The handsome captain did well for himself, both financially and romantically, as he captured the heart of a local hotel maid named Magi. It is claimed that Max and Magi were sailing away to elope (after one last smuggling run of course) when the United States Coast Guard ambushed them. Bullets tore the Midnight Fox to shreds. When morning came, no trace of Max or Magi was found.
Red Moon’s Cocktail Highlights:
- Crescent Moon: Hendricks gin, elderflower liqueur, fresh lime, cucumber, mint, soda
- Half Moon: Tito’s vodka, amaretto, fresh strawberry, cream
- Full Moon: Avion tequila, fresh lime, red pepper, cilantro, orange juice, Bitterman’s Hellfire Bitters
- Moon Tower: Malibu rum, lychee liqueur, Cointreau, pineapple, cherry, fresh orange
- Moonstruck: Absolut Citron vodka, fresh lemonade, mango nectar, soda, lime
- (Moon)garita: Avion tequila, agave syrup, Cointreau, orange, lemon, lime
So put on your zoot suit and toss back a Bee’s Knees at the Red Moon Speakeasy Lounge! And don’t tell the cops!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.